Food & Nutrition
Led by Chef Joe Pennington, our culinary team creates tasty meals from fresh ingredients. All meals are served family-style with plenty of gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian options.
- Kosher – All food is certified kosher, the kitchen is supervised at all times by a mashgiach, and we operate under the rabbinic auspices of Rabbi Joel Roth of the Jewish Theological Seminary.
- Vegetarian – When we serve meat or fish there is always a vegetarian option.
- Gluten-Free – While our kitchen is not gluten-free, there is a selection of gluten-free products offered at meals.
- Dairy-Free/Vegan – At every meal we strive to serve a dairy-free (usually vegan) option, and offer soy milk and Lactaid milk at breakfast.
- Daily Snacks – Between meals, we provide a mid-morning and mid-afternoon healthy snack. Options include popcorn, granola bars, apple sauce and ice pops.
- Nuts – There are no nuts used in our cooking, however peanut butter is available at all meals. We serve products that are made in a facility that also processes nuts.
- Fresh Fruit – A variety of fresh fruit including apples, pears, plums, peaches, and nectarines is available 24/7.
- Other Allergies and Dietary Needs – If your child has other special dietary needs, definitely let us know! We will work with your family to make sure your child’s nutritional needs are met in a safe and delicious way.
- Other options – In addition to the main entrée, every breakfast includes our breakfast bar which has a variety of yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, cottage cheese, juices, and milk to start the day off right. At lunch and dinner we have a salad bar that includes both veggie and protein options if your camper doesn’t care for the main dish.
Joe is from Louisville, Kentucky, and has been a member of the Ramah staff for many years. He received a BA in English at the University of Louisville and studied Culinary Arts at Sullivan University. Joe and his wife Christina have three children.