Ramah Recipes: Veggie Latkes
Happy December and Happy Hanukkah! As you’ve probably already guessed, this month’s recipe is for latkes! But this year, try something new with your Hanukkah cooking- veggie latkes. Over the summer, we made zucchini & potato latkes, but feel free to substitute other in-season or available vegetables instead, such as carrots, squash, parsnips, leeks, etc. While we liked to focus on some traditional Jewish recipes in the mitbachon, it was always fun to take our own spin on them with seasonal ingredients, so this Hanukkah, take the traditional recipes and make them your own with your favorite veggies! -Anna Glassman-Kaufman, Rosh Mitbachon 2018
2 zucchini (or other vegetable of your choosing), grated
2 large russet potatoes, grated
3 tablespoons onion, grated
3 eggs, beaten
¾ cup flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil to fry
1. In a large mixing bowl, grate together the zucchini, potato, and the onion.
2. Mix in the salt.
3. Slowly, grab handfuls of the mixture and squeeze out as much water as possible, placing the squeezed vegetables in a separate medium bowl. Discard liquid.
4. Fold in the eggs, salt and pepper.
5. Slowly add the flour and baking powder a little bit at a time.
6. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
7. Drop heaping scoops of batter into the oil, but carefully as not to splash the hot oil.
8. Cook on each side for two or three minutes on each side.
9. Remove from pan and place on a towel lined sheet pan to drain excess oil.
10. Enjoy with sour cream, applesauce, aioli, or any other sauce of your choosing.